Language Access Training Summit | Tue April 3, 2018
A day of learning how to provide LEP individuals with meaningful access to your services
Language access is so much more than video phones and Google Translate. Between 30,000 and 50,000 people in Allegheny County identify as having limited English proficiency, and cannot access services as a result. Join Global Wordsmiths, Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council, Jewish Family and Community Services, The Center for Hearing & Deaf Services, All for All and the Allegheny County Department of Human Services for a day of learning how to provide LEP individuals with meaningful access to your services.
This training will include an in-depth look at the different components of language access. From how to work with interpeters, how to engage with different language access resources, and the best practices of working with LEP individuals to cultural competency, deaf culture and immigrant & refugee demographics in Allegheny County, this training will offer participants a comprehensive curriculum that can be applied across sectors.
- 8:30 – 9:00 Sign-in and Coffee
- 9:00 – 9:30 Welcome + What is Language Access? Why is it so important?
- 9:30 – 10:30 Cultural Competence + Cultural Humility
- 10:30 – 10:45 Short Break
- 10:45 – 12:00 Cultural Competence + Cultural Humility, Demographics in Allegheny County
- 12:00 – 12:30 Lunch by Choolah Indian BBQ
- 12:30 – 1:30 Tuning in to Language
- 1:30 – 2:00 Service for the Hearing Impaired, Deaf Culture + ASL Interpretation
- 2:00 – 2:15 Short Break
- 2:15 – 3:00 Language Access Resources, How to Work with Interpreters, Interpreter Demos
- 3:00 – 3:30 Immigrant Panel
- 3:30 – 4:00 Laws and Compliance + Budgeting for Language Services
- 4:00 – 4:30 Q&A + Closing Remarks
Sliding scale/ discounted tickets are available in cases of financial hardship. We want this training to be accessible to everyone who wants to attend. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly for more information.
All for All
Jewish Family & Community Services of Pittsburgh
Allegheny County Department of Human Services Immigrants and Internationals Initiative
Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
Center For Hearing & Deaf Services